Author Topic: LBRW  (Read 799 times)

Glenn VanHeel

• Wannabees
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • #52 rescued from the bowels of society!
LBRW
« on: April 02, 2024, 05:17:24 AM »
Is there any interest in Long Beach race week(end) in June?  Racing would be inside the breakwater or we can petition out on the ocean. Beeeze is normally in the mid teens depending on how hot the desert gets.
www.lbrw.org
I didn't fall from heaven, I got kicked out of hell !!!

Travis Gregory

• Administrator
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • U20 - 222
Re: LBRW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 04:31:10 AM »
Glenn,

Thanks for suggesting this. We really need a suitable replacement for the now defunct San Diego NOOD. With the Championship in July, June may be to close.  What would you suggest for 2025?  Anything going earlier (March, April, May)?

Thanks

Mike Josselyn

• #62 Uhoo
  • U20 Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 05:56:56 PM »
This sounds like a good replacement for NOODS but agree that a regatta earlier would be more attractive to boats that are winterized somewhere and what to get out.   Usually by June many are back at their "lakes".

Steve Shaw

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 07:15:06 PM »
All you West Coasters should make it a point to do this LBRW regatta.  I have sailed all around the country and know first hand that Alamitos Bay and inside the breakwall in Long Beach harbor can be some of the best sailing anywhere.  Awesome breeze that you can usually count on coming from the west around 1pm and relatively flat water are perfect combos for these boats.  This should be a signature event for the class and don't ever rule out utilizing this venue for a NAC event.  RC work will be second to none and one of the regattas primary sponsors is Ullman Sails.
Traveling is not an issue with these boats so don't let that be a factor.  I HIGHLY encourage you to do it.

Travis Gregory

• Administrator
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • U20 - 222
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 09:35:16 PM »
Lots of interest on this topic this weekend Glenn. Can you look into March, April, early May options for 25?

Steve Shaw

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 02:11:22 PM »
So I ve heard through the grapevine that Helly Hansen/Sailing World race week was pulled from San Diego with plans to assume the role of title sponsor for LBRW knowing what a high class event it is.  However, our friends at Ullman Sails have been the title sponsor for many years now and still have two more years on their contract.  This should speek to the magnitude in which I say that this event should be a MUST on the U20 racing calendar.  If I end up leaving one of my boats out there, I would plan to fly out and do the regatta each year.  There is no reason y'all (southern term) reading this shouldn't be doing it!

Ron Dietel -

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 04:57:28 AM »
I would be interested in a Long Beach area race. My U20 is in Ventura so not far away.

Travis Gregory

• Administrator
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • U20 - 222
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 03:21:07 PM »
Looks like some momentum here.  What about LBRW for the Pacific Coast Championship in 2025?  Glenn can you be the boots on the ground for this?

Glenn VanHeel

• Wannabees
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • #52 rescued from the bowels of society!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 04:41:53 AM »
After a last minute cancelation I was asked to call tactics on a j111 for yachting cup hosted by San Diego yacht club. I am not a pro by any means. But the experience and venue is another nice option as the racing was on the ocean off Coronado roads. I'm not sure if this year's conditions was an anomaly or the Norms. I haven't done this regatta in about 20+ years. It's a 2 day event with Saturdays breeze in the 10-12 kt range and Sunday we saw 16-18 kts.
I write this as a viable option for early May and the U20 and San Diego are synonymous. There aren't many weekend events in SoCal anymore to make it worth travelling for out of towners and LBRW is one of the last 3 day events left.
BTW we didn't do do well as we got shish kabobed by a j122 at the top mark in the 2nd race that took out 1/3 of our wheel. Some ghetto repairs we were able to continue the rest of the regatta.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 04:46:28 AM by Glenn VanHeel »
I didn't fall from heaven, I got kicked out of hell !!!

Steve Shaw

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 04:25:44 PM »
Unless you're sailing inside in San Diego, it is a hell of a motor out to the ocean in a U20!  No thanks.

Travis Gregory

• Administrator
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • U20 - 222
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 10:13:07 PM »
Thanks for the report Glenn.  You look good on a J111!

The best venue for SD and the U20 is the South Bay Coronado Roads!  It sounds like they might do this next year for the Yachting cup as they try to replace the NOOD. 

Still like your idea of doing LBRW for a PCC.