Author Topic: Keel Wedge STL For 3D Printing  (Read 1376 times)

Josh Jones

• U20 Virgin
Keel Wedge STL For 3D Printing
« on: July 30, 2023, 06:48:43 PM »
I wasn't able to get a set of Keel Wedges in the recent batch shipped to fleet #2, so I decided to try to model and 3D print a pair on my own. 

My wedges were missing all the plastic below the last 2 screws so I didn't know exactly how long they needed to be, after installing I think maybe the design is a little short, but I'm not too worried about that. The very base probably isn't that important anyhow, and this creates more strength near the screws due to the perimeters being there. 

I printed some test versions with 10 perimeters and like 60% infill, and those actually honestly, I think were too beefy.  For my final set I settled on 6 perimeters and 40% infill.  Print them with the outside face down (the side that has the countersunk holes).  That way when you mount them the smooth side is facing out, and the top layers are pressing against the keel.  I recommend printing in PETG, not PLA plastic, or ABS for that matter too.  PLA plastic is easier to print, but not as strong or impact resistant. PETG also holds up better in the heat too.  ABS is best for heat resistance, but breaks down in UV and is much less dense than PETG.

Because I was not able to print the full part myself, I made a version that prints in 2 parts, they are keyed with a tongue and groove and the center screw secures both the top and bottom pieces.

If you have a printer with at least a 300x300mm print bed you should be able to print the single piece part (included in the zip file as well), but I will warn that the bottom screws might need adjustment (if so just let me know and I can update the parts).

Licensing: Anyhow, anyone can use these files for their own personal use for free, not for commercial use.  If you would like me to print you a set I would be happy to, just know that it will be the 2 part version (which I am using on my boat and it seems to work great so far).  This is about $10 of plastic, and it takes about 20 hours to print all the pieces with the proper speed for strength etc. So maybe $20 total shipped? I don't know.

If you use them yourself and would like to buy me a beer, you can send me money via PayPal, but this isn't required.

https://paypal.me/vertigo235?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:09:02 PM by Josh Jones »

Josh Jones

• U20 Virgin
Re: Keel Wedge STL For 3D Printing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 06:52:30 PM »
Additionally, I do have this set of Magenta Colored ones, anyone can have these for free (you pay shipping if that is required).  I can hand them to you at LNYC. '

Edit: These are no longer available
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:36:34 PM by Josh Jones »

Gray Shannahan

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 07:16:12 PM »
I purchased Keel Wedges from Gary's Plastics. They fit perfectly. Easiest install I have done on the boat yet! They were also cheap.

My wedges had also broken below the bottom screws and I could feel the keel jiggling over waves. Everything is perfectly solid now with the new wedges installed.

Josh Jones

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 05:30:31 PM »
Yes, I believe Gary made the OEM keel wedges, they are solid HDPE plastic, which is probably why they just snap off at the bottom after some time (of which I have no idea what the typical life is).

He asks $79 + shipping, which seems fair if they last 10 years or so, I anticipated getting some of those but decided to just give this a try and see how it works out.

You can contact Gary at gary@garysplasticplace.com